During the winter season, the humidity level drops abruptly. This level should be around 30 to 50%, but due to the dryness in the atmosphere, it falls below 30% and you may have started to face different mild to severe health-related issues because of that.
Cool mist humidifiers can act as a savior in such circumstances. But how does a cool mist humidifier work? Well, it disperses mist to make up the deficiency of humidity inside your room’s atmosphere.
But few of us know about the actual science or working procedure of the humidifier. If you have a piece of full knowledge about any device then you can choose it more confidently. Isn’t it?
But you don’t need to go anywhere to find out. The main purpose of this article is to let you know about the working procedure of a cool mist humidifier. Let’s begin.
How Does a Cool mist Humidifier Work (All the Types Covered)
Generally there are two types of humidifiers, one is a warm mist humidifier and another one is a cool mist humidifier. However, even the Cool mist humidifiers can again be divided into three subcategories according to its working function. These are-
- Impeller Cool Mist Humidifier
- Evaporative Cool Mist Humidifier
- Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Here we will discuss about the working procedure of three types in detail.
This kind of humidifier is very common and mostly available in the table-top design. It has a rotating disk inside it. When water from the water tank comes on the rotating disk, due to vibration it breaks the water into tiny droplets. These droplets are then dispersing into the air.
Due to it being small in size, it doesn’t disperse much moisture at a time, and that’s why it doesn’t cover large areas. It produces a vibrating sound as the disk is continuously vibrating. This one is less expensive than the others.
The basic working principle of an evaporative humidifier lies on the wick of filter paper or cloths and a fan. When we add water into the water tank of the filter, the wick soaks the water and draws it up where a fan is set up. As the fan rotates, it evaporates the water and the moisture disperses into the air.
This humidifier can also be described as a self-regulating humidifier. Because the evaporation process will stop if the room atmosphere is completely saturated by water droplets. But you shouldn’t confuse this with the malfunction of the humidifier.
In an ultrasonic humidifier, a ceramic diaphragm is used as a basic component to build it up. This ceramic diaphragm vibrates at a very high frequency. When water comes on this, the water also vibrates at the same frequency and starts to produce bubbles. When these bubbles reach the surface, they break into tiny droplets and disperse into the air.
As it vibrates at an ultrasonic frequency, it doesn’t produce any kind of sound. So you can keep it in your bedroom and have a beautiful sleep. This one is also energy efficient.
But the main drawback of this humidifier is it produces white dust. If you add tap water into this humidifier, the minerals of the water also disperse along with the water droplet like white dust. This white dust acts as an air pollutant. It can cause breathing problems or allergy infections if you inhale this. To avoid this problem you have to use distilled water and need to clean it every day.
Benefits of Using a Cool Mist Humidifier
As you now know how does a cool mist humidifier work, you may be interested to learn why majority of the people prefer a cool mist humidifier over a warm mist. The reasons behind this are enlisted below. This humidifier has numerous benefits.
- You often feel nasal congestion when you are surrounded by dry air. The cool mist humidifier releases microdroplets of water and gives you some sort of relief from this.
- Your skin also becomes rough and dry due to dry air. You have faced itching and rashes. Once you start using a humidifier, all these problems are gone.
- Many people across the world use humidifiers to alleviate the symptoms of asthma. The air full of moisture is beneficial for asthma patients. So in the dry atmosphere regions, asthma sufferers use a humidifier at their homes.
- Your furry friends are the worst sufferer of the dry season. The dry air causes static electricity and for this, your pets feel uncomfortable while they are going to sleep in their beds. As the humidifier balances the humidity level, this problem is minimized.
- All the indoor plants are from the tropical region and because of this; they can’t survive in the dry air region. So a humidifier proof is beneficial for them too.
- During the dry season, flu is the most common disease of all and it spreads rapidly through the dry air. The humidifier controls the humidity level so the flu virus doesn’t spread much.
Safety Advice While Using a Humidifier
All electronics devices need to be used cautiously. And when you are going to install this in your bedroom, you need to be extra careful.
Now humidifier is a very common term among us and more or less everyone wants to use it. But before using or purchasing anything, you need to know about that device precisely. In this article, you will come to know about the working procedure as well as some precautionary segments and advantages of using a cool mist humidifier.
The science behind each type of three cool mist humidifiers is well described separately. So it will be easier for you to go through this. we hope now you know how does a cool mist humidifier work. If you still have doubts, feel free to ask, and we will happily resolve your doubts.